Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Owls - In Style Again

Have you noticed that the owl is back in style? If you weren't around in the 70's I can tell you that owls were everywhere.  Jewelry, fabrics, figures of owls, owls were big in the 1970's and they're back!

Owl Pillow Top
I am feeling nostalgic about the come back of the owl. My cousin Karen had an owl collection.  I remember visiting her condo several years ago and there were owls everywhere.  Karen's collection is back in style. I will have to see if she still has this collection and is she adding new owls. 

In my travels I have picked up a few owls too.  I found a nice carved owl  at my thrift store and for Christmas I received an owl necklace. 

With the renewed owl imagery and my nostalgic memory on dial back - I wanted to make a hooked owl.  I began sketching a few months ago and working on an image. 

Next came the wool to hook the owl.  I have been experimenting with ways to build up color for the hand dyed wools that I create. I used just three pieces of hand dyed wool to hook the owl.  The two pieces on the top of the right picture were originally one piece. The two pieces from the left picture were from the same dye pot and the lightest piece cam from the dye pot of the right top wools.  I  like to be able to use one piece of wool many ways and this process lets me do this.

I have lots of wools in my studio available for your next project.  Give me a call to set up an appointment. 518-524-9860 - 1.5 hours from Burlington VT, 2 hours from Lake George NY, 45 minutes from Plattsburgh NY.

Visit Liberty Fibers' Online Store

No comments: