Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A New Sock Knitter - Are You Next?



I have talked about socks several times in this blog.  I learned to knit to make socks. I learned to spin to make my own handspun handknit socks.  I am always excited to teach a sock knitting class and even more excited when a student makes more than one pair.

The picture above is of not the first pair Kim knit, but the second and third pairs!  Kim not only knit three pairs of socks but has adapted the pattern to make special socks for her family.  The off-white pair is for her mother.  They needed to be shorter and looser around the ankle.  Kim has reinforced the heel on the brown pair on the needles by holding a second strand of contrasting yarn with the main color yarn.

It is very exciting for me not only as a knitter but as a teacher when a student likes making socks as much as I do! Kim told me her husband couldn't wait to wear the first pair she knit.  He was already wearing them as soon as they came off the needles.  Her husband missed the socks his Canadian grandmother knit for Christmas gifts every year. 

It seems that knitting can bring us full circle.  For those who were given handknit gifts by grandmothers and aunts and mothers, we can now give to the next generation. Yes! Knitting is not a lost art! And socks rock!

Visit the Liberty Fibers website for a complete list of classes.

Visit Liberty Fibers' Online Store

No comments: