Monday, January 24, 2011

A New Tom Geoghan Hooked Rug

A New Tom Geoghan Design in Rug Hooking
 I started this entry with Snow Snow Snow -  but now just a day later I have to amend that to Cold Cold Cold. Upstate New York is in a deep freeze .   

Original Painting by Tom Geoghan
What have I been doing since the start of the new year? Rug hooking has been a large part of my focus recently. In my last post, I shared a hooked rug based on the artwork of Adirondack painter, Tom Geoghan. I have now completed a second rug.  This rug features peacocks. 

In the past year I have become more interested in peococks.  There is a local garden center that has four or five  in an enclosed area.  I did not realize peacocks can also be white. The group of peacocks at the garden center are very interesting.  They started with two white ones and now the flock has a muddy white, a turquoise, and a few other mutations of white and turquoise.  It is totally fascinating to see the colors.  This is why I chose Tom's peacock painting to hook next.

I started by dyeing the wool for the project.  This was fun.  The color palatte for this rug is bright.  I especially like the pink in the feather band at the top.  It is hot!

All of the wool for this project was hand dyed.  I especially love the pink in the feather band around the top peocock.  It is sooo hot!

Recreating a painting or any other medium to rug hooking has challenges. The first challenge is to have the artists permission.  Please do not copy another artists work without permission.  Not cool!

The second challenge was to hook a rug that resembles Tom's painting and shows well in rug hooking.  I had to make some adjustments. In the mid-section of grass around the bottom peacock, I initially hooked this horizontally but decided it would look much better hooked vertically continuing down from the flowers. I think the vertical flow of the grass works well,enhancing the rug hooking design and representing Tom's painting too.

I will be adding rug hooking canvases to my online shop.  If you are interested in hooking either of the designs I have completed, please contact me for the pattern.

Visit Liberty Fibers' Online Store

No comments: